Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Healthy Living

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, you know that I went through a period of time where I was very conscious of what I ate, and in turn, a lot of my health problems cleared up.  I'm not talking minor things either.

One example is my allergies, chronic sinusitis, and resulting bronchitis.  I had been on 3 rounds of antibiotics and multiple rounds of Prednisone in a 9 month period.  My doctor wanted me to call and schedule a balloon sinuplasty as soon I was done with classes for the semester.  Which, although he said was a minor procedure, I had heard horror stories.  Luckily, once I change my diet and started taking whole food supplements, my sinus problems cleared up within 3 weeks. It turned out that I had been filling my body with so many bad things, my body was overworked and it just started fighting everything off, and viewing everything as an intruder.  The sinus problems were my body's way of waging war with every thing - good or bad - that entered my body.

Another example is my hormonal problems.  I have never actually been diagnosed with PCOS, but I think I might have it.  Because I have very irregular cycles and don't ovulate regularly, if at all.  Which made trying to get pregnant basically impossible.  Within 1 month of starting my nutritional therapy I had ovulated, and within 6 months of not even trying for a baby anymore due to grad school, I was pregnant! (oops/yay!)  I did a short series on what I ate that I feel ultimately led to little miss Scarlett: Part 1 and Part 2.

I know I've talked about these things a million times, but I just want everyone to know about what I've learned because it really has changed my life!

...Except that in the past year, I have completely gone back to where I began.  It started with morning sickness and then pregnancy cravings.  Once Scarlett was born, I went back to school.  My eating was horrible last semester!  Possibly the worst that it's ever been!  I would barely eat anything during the day because I was so busy.  And when I did eat, it was always something I could fix very quickly.  We ate a lot of frozen pizzas and just plain JUNK last semester.

And guess what.  Not surprisingly, I am back to feeling terrible all the time!  I've been congested for 2 months, I've been having stomach problems, and just been feeling generally "down" emotionally, and very fatigued and lethargic.  And almost apathetic toward school and other responsibilities.  You might be thinking there's no way that food and toxins are all to blame for that!  But I beg to differ -- from my past experience, I know that food and toxins probably have just about everything to do with all of that!

So I'm making an effort to clean up my (and my family's) food and lifestyle! Again!  And if I'm able to squeeze it in time-wise, I'm probably going to blog about it all (again!)

Here are some things I'm going to try:
  • Limit foods and formulas that contain GMOs (genetically modified organisms).
  • Start using more "clean" and chemical free cleaning and beauty products. 
  • Stick closer to the foods I was eating in the posts I linked about.
  • Make as many meals ahead of time on the weekends as possible.  Last minute meals mean unhealthy meals.
  • Use essential oils in place of over-the-counter medications.
These are just the few of the things I'd like to try.  It's going to take a lot of planning ahead, but I'm going to take it one small change at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!