Monday, January 20, 2014

Starting Solids

Last Saturday, we started Scarlett on solids.  We wanted to wait until she was at least 6 months, because that's what the doctors at the hospital had told us.  They said she needed to be getting all her nutrients through breast milk and formula until 6 months since she's so small.  Plus, they said waiting longer can reduce the risk of food allergies. 

Scarlett has shown a lot of interest in food for awhile now, though.  When Luke and I are eating, she just stares at our food like she wants to take a big bite too!  She also has not been the best at nursing, and loses interest in a bottle quickly sometimes, too.  So we decided that we'd start her on solids at exactly 6 months. 

Scarlett is also sitting on her own a bit now, for a few seconds at least.  So we decided to put her in her high chair for her first real "meal."  The high chair was a gift from my sister and brother-in-law.  They found it at an antique shop, and Julie put the cute whale fabric on it and added straps to hold her in.  Then she painted the little metal tray with sea animals!  I love it so much!  Scarlett sits there and just stares at and touches the sea animals. 


 After doing some research, and asking friends via Facebook, we decided to introduce one food at a time, one time a day.   We decided to start with a vegetable so she doesn't get used to the sugars in fruits before trying any vegetables.  And we decided to start with avocado because it's high in fat, and shouldn't contribute to allergies later on. 

I also decided a long time ago that I want to make my own baby food.  I thought it would be cheaper and healthier.  So I bought 3 avocados and pureed them all.  It looked pretty disgusting.
 Scarlett is looking at me like, "what are you going to do to me?!"

 She was really unsure during the first few bites.  She spit most of it out, and just really couldn't figure out if she loved it or hated it.


I usually think these messy-face pictures are disgusting.  Sorry in advance.  When it's your own kid, it's different though.  I think it's cute!

She definitely wasn't quite sure about it that day, but she has really warmed up to it!  Now I will hold the spoon out and she will practically dive for it.  She still has only tried avocado, but I'm going to try something new next week.

I'm doing the whole freeze-it-in-an-ice-cube-tray thing, and so far it has worked really well! 

We're only through half of the first ice cube tray in a week, so I'd say those are some pretty cheap meals!  I was a little worried about freezing the avocado, but it has stayed pretty fresh. 

I can't believe I have a 6-month-old who has two teeth, sleeps in her own crib in her own room, almost sits by herself, says "mama" (even though I don't think she knows what it means yet!), and eats food!  I just can't believe she's that old.  I still feel like she should be a newborn.  I wish time would slow down just for a second!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe she is six months old already! That is crazy! And I love the first food pictures, I laugh every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your high chair! we've been trying solids for the last two weeks and they are mostly a miss so far but she is finally swallowing a few bites at least :) and i want to make most of our baby food too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting solids is so fun! It does go by so fast though. Before you know it she'll be eating her first birthday cake! (Sorry, I shouldn't say stuff like that, haha!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!