Friday, November 20, 2009

The Bright Side

This weekend Luke and I were supposed to go on a young adult retreat with some people from church. I was pretty pumped about it until my stomach just started feeling sicker and sicker as the week went on. On Wednesday I finally decided that since I've been waking up in the middle of the night each night lately and spending about an hour sick in the bathroom, I didn't want to deal with that when I wasn't at home. So Luke and I both decided to cancel. I was bummed, but there IS a bright side and I'm going to find it. (And just for the record, I'm still not pregnant, so that's not the reason. Didn't want to mislead anyone b/c I guess some people at church suspected that I was pregnant since I've been sick so much this fall!)

First of all, I think I figured out what is wrong with me! Maybe. For a few years now, I've been lactose intolerant. But I think I may have discovered that I'm fructose intolerant as well. This past weekend at youth explosion, I drank immense amounts of pop, because I basically had access to all-you-can-drink Diet Coke. FREE Diet Coke. Also, we bought a few 2-liters for our hotel rooms, and would sip on glasses of that pop in the evenings after we got back to the hotel. When we got home, we had tons of left over pop that I've been drinking all week. And I have been getting increasingly sicker and sicker all week. I made the connection on Wednesday or Thursday, have since cut pop out of my diet, and am already feeling (slightly) better. After doing some research online, I found that some people can't digest fructose correctly. And because of the high amounts of high fructose corn syrup in most pops, some people get sick from it. I'm hoping that I really have pegged the problem so I can just avoid pop and I won't be sick anymore!
Update: Just found out Diet Coke has no high fructose corn syrup in it! lol!! Maybe it's just something else in the Diet Coke. I've always been told that that stuff's like drinking poison, even though I was addicted to it for years!

Also, I'm okay with missing the retreat because we are going to have some relaxation time, and some time to start on our home reorganization I wrote about in my last post. I'm super excited!!

And tomorrow night I get to see the movie that I've been waiting to see since it's prequel came out one year ago: NEW MOON!!! I know I'm not a die hard fan who went to see it in the middle of the night last night, but I'm still excited!Oh my gosh, I seriously thought about reading the book again tomorrow in preparation for tomorrow night! I don't think I'll go that far, but I'm really excited about it! The book was my least favorite of the series, but the movie actually looks pretty fantastic based on the trailer!

And one last thing I'm excited about...only 2 more work days until Thanksgiving break!!! I don't know that I've ever needed a break so badly as I do right now. This has been a difficult few months, even though they've been great at the same time. But a break, a little R&R, and some time with family and friends should make things a lot better :-)

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to diet pop too, but it's never made me sick like that! That's awful. I hope you figure out what exactly is causing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not knowing what's wrong would be very frustrating, I hope you can figure it out! I've stopped drinking pop because it always makes me feel sick (I think it's the carbonation for me).

    We started shopping for Christmas in August because I knew our finances would be tight come November and December. We still have a few things to buy (including one more "expensive" item), but I'm glad we started early. I love shopping for presents :) Have fun looking on etsy for gifts, I bought a lot from there last Christmas, but this Christmas I haven't so far.

    I can't wait to hear your review of New Moon, I won't be able to see it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling completely better now! I am super excited about New Moon. I can't see it til Thursday since I promised my sister I'd see it with her but I have started reading it again in preparation. ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!