Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Decorator's OCD??

I definitely have some little quirks. I joke that I have OCD. For example, one of my students the other day asked me why I touch the wall by the door every time I leave my classroom. I don't know why I do this, I just do. I have a weird thing about symmetry and 90 degree angles. Everything on my desk at work is either parallel or perpendicular to the edges. Sometimes I perform simple tasks in a really inconvenient way, because it bothers me if I don't do it in a certain way.

Now, do I really have OCD? No, of course not. I think we all have these little quirks that make us unique :-) However, when it comes to decorating my home, I believe that I may have a touch of decorator's OCD :-P

For example, Luke bought new Christmas lights for our tree this year. I didn't like them. Not at all. It bothered me so much, it was all I could think about. The frustration brought me to tears. Finally I told him the truth. We took all the lights off, went out to town to buy some new lights, and re-decorated the tree.

Another time, when we moved in, we painted the kitchen walls a green color. We then bought green tile to put on the backsplash. The greens didn't match. They didn't completely clash, but they didn't match. It was driving me crazy. My mom knew this, brought the tile to Home Depot so they would match the color, and repainted the walls. All while I was at work one day. Ahhh, it was the best surprise EVER!!! I don't think I could have lived with the 2 different shades of green. Thanks, Mom!!

Today our carpet FINALLY came!! Here is a little peak: (I don't want to show the whole room until it's all decorated and ready :-))I love the carpet! I walked in and just smiled and smiled because I was so glad we finally had some great carpet in the attic! That is until I turned around and noticed one small detail:
They had carpeted the little shelf area that comes out by the stairway. Sigh. This is just not good (And the picture doesn't make it look as bad is it really is). This area used to look like this:

I painted it white, and although it's a little rough-looking, I thought it would have been so adorable as a little shelf. I think it was absolutely pointless for them to carpet it, and it would look really dumb if I used it as a shelf now. Grrr, I wish I had been here to stop them. It's all I can think about, and I can't enjoy the look of the rest of the room. See what I mean? Decorator's OCD. It's absolutely driving me mad.

I think I inherited this trait from my mother. She called to see how it looked earlier. I told her the carpet was great except for that one little detail. She completely understood what I meant and agreed with me without even seeing it yet!

I really wish I was not this way, but I'm afraid the carpet in that area is going to have to go. My mom says it will be easy to fix. Luke does not agree, but he's not the one who will be having a slight panic attack every time he walks in the room due to those few little square feet.

Okay, so I'm slightly kidding here. But it is bugging me, and I can't wait to embark on "Project: Remove Carpet!" Oh gosh, I hope Luke can learn to cope with my nitpicky-ness when it comes to decorating. I think we are slowly learning that I need to be present when all major projects are being done to our house. Because Luke doesn't care about this stuff at all. It will save us a lot of time and energy if I'm there to help make these types of decisions.

Wow, I sound so bad right now! My dad tells me I'm a snob when it comes to stuff like this. But it's my house, I have to live in it, and I want it to look nice! It's funny that I worry about little details like that, yet have an absolutely impossible time keeping my house clean. It makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm SUPER pumped about the new carpet in general!!! LOVE IT! It's a perfect match :-)

Do you have decorator's OCD??

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I can relate my blogger friend :) You have the right to your own wants when it comes to the HOME you live in. Every. Day.

    Keep us posted - hope it comes off easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!!! Hahaa... that would drive me CRAZY too!

    Crossing my fingers that it's not too hard to get rid of :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are talking to the person who repainted her entire living room 4 times in 6 months because I couldn't find a color I was happy with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! I think it looks great and you may want to sleep it on it and check out all your decorating options before you rip it up. Either way it looks awesome!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean!!! We are in the process of doing some remodeling in our house so things are not all in order. I had a mini breakdown because of it. My husband very sweetly and calmly let me know this is how things are when you are in the process of redoing things in your house. I will feel so much better when we are all done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome to be able to remodel...what a awesoem feeling that is! I did it to my whole house when I bought it! Great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you sound like me I definitely have Designer's OCD. I move things back and forth up and down to find the perfect angle and placement. My husband thinks I'm crazy for this and a variety of other things. Congrats on the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Sometimes I think I have OCD too. Mine has more to do with things being perfectly clean. Like the kitchen sink. I can't concentrate if the kitchen sink isn't spotless! This post made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To the people who move things until they are just right I feel you. Im so picky about how things are placed. I have been diagnosed with symmetry OCD. It sucks if something is off centered where ever I am I have an overwhelming need to fix it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!