Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Word of the Year

I received a devotional book from my parents for Christmas. It's called "Hearing from God Each Morning: 365 Daily Devotions" by Joyce Meyer.

Today's devotion hit me hard, and because of it, I decided to set a word of the year for 2011. (I've seen a ton of bloggers pick a "word of the year" and I think it's a great idea!) My word of the year is:

And my verse of the year is Psalm 34:14 - "Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it."

Joyce Meyer's devotional for today spoke about peace and how we should make it the "umpire" of our lives. When we're having a tough time making a decision, we should weigh our options and search for the one that brings the most peace. If it brings peace it's "Safe," and if it does not, it's "Out!"

This year I'm going to be proactive about finding and pursuing peace in my life. Here is how Joyce puts it:
"If I am shopping, I don't buy something if I don't have peace about it. If I'm involved in a conversation and find myself losing peace, I become quiet. When I make decisions, I look at the options before me and see where peace is. When I am trying to discern between the voice of God and the other voices that compete for my attention, I listen to see which voice or message brings the peace of God into my heart."
Here are some practical ways I will try to pursue peace this year:
  • Don't worry about things I can't control
  • Go to bed earlier and get more rest
  • Make Sunday a day of rest to worship and recuperate for the week ahead.
  • Don't procrastinate!
  • Learn to say "no" to commitments that I don't have time/energy for.
  • Don't be argumentative with my husband, family, and friends
  • Don't make silly decisions that will steal my peace away
  • Have a quiet, devotional time every morning. This brings peace like nothing else!
  • Trust God to lead me
  • Exercise to relieve stress
  • Serve others. When I focus on others, my problems will seem so much smaller, and my stress will disappear.
  • Make my home a peaceful haven for Luke, myself, and others we invite here. Keep it clean and tidy! Light candles and bake so that the smell is inviting. And keep the Lord the center of our household, which is the real key to true and lasting peace in a home, marriage, and family.
How are you finding peace in your life today? Joyce also says that "God leads us by peace." He may lead us outside of our comfort zone, but we will always feel His peace and presence in the end if we are following Him!

5 comments:

  1. I think that's a great word for the year, Jess! I like the idea of picking a word for the year too, but I haven't thought of just the right one yet . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word for the year is Simplify. I made that my new motto around October and I am still headed in that direction.

    I love that you are using peace. May God bless you throughout the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word and Bible verse - good reminders for me too. Praying that God shows you how to be more peaceful this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this!! I might have to get that devotion book. It sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! And I LOVE the list you made.

    I think my word for this year is:
    HOPE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Peace sounds like a great word for the year! I love hearing everyone's words for the year and it makes me think about things I wouldn't normally. Your focus to rest this year sounds so great! I am already working on my word of this year for 2011 but I may have to steal this one for 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!