Thursday, June 2, 2011

DIY Rolled Fabric Flowers

Last week I made some rolled paper flowers from a tutorial I found on this website. And this week I made some fabric flowers from a tutorial I found on the same website...

These flowers are sooo simple to make, and they are so cute! Here is a link to the step-by-step instructions of how to make the little rosettes.

On Monday I had some spare time before a bonfire at my parents' house so I sat down with an old, cotton, white dress that I had never worn. I bought it because it was really inexpensive, and it just never looked quite right on me. So I cut it into a bunch of multi-sized strips and set about rolling each strip into a little flower. It seriously took no more than a minute to make each one.

Once I had made all the flowers, I had to figure out what to do with them. First I used some to embellish a boring, pink t-shirt I had bought on clearance at Old Navy for $4. I just sewed them right on the pocket

Before:

After:


Then I thought the only thing cuter than adding them to a shirt would be to make little hair clips and headbands out of them. Here's a picture of one that I glued to a bobby pin (I also sewed a little piece of fabric tightly behind the pin to make sure it stayed connected).

I wore it in my hair to work today and got lots of compliments. I'm not sure, but I think this may be the beginnings of my etsy shop! Stay tuned ;-)

I have so many ideas for these cute flowers! I can't wait to make more in all kinds of different colors! I want to attach some to the lamp in my bedroom, sew some to my bags, make some kind of pillow embellished with these flowers...I could go on and on.

So now I've completed 5 DIY projects this year, and my goal was 6! Yay! I'm almost there, and it's only June!

Oh...and that stencil project in the bedroom I have been talking about?

Yeah, about that...I think I've changed my mind about the whole thing, and instead, I'm thinking about painting the bedroom a very pale blue color. This is news to Luke if he is reading this :-P So hopefully he will go along with it if I do all the work! I'll need something to keep me busy the first week of break anyway, right? ;-) And I've been wanting to give our bedroom a little face-lift for quite awhile now. (Please, Luke? :-P)

Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to learn how to make those flowers :). Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those flowers spruce up a shirt so much!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!