Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend and a Recipe

Sometimes a weekend comes along that is just so full, it's almost perfect.  This Memorial Day weekend was that for me.

It all started on Friday when I had the chance to sub for a second grade class on field day.  It was so much fun!  Cheering kids on at the field, extra long recess, a movie, and popsicles were all a part of the day.  Weren't days like that the best in elementary school?  It was fun to be there for it.

Unfortunately, 7 hours of all that fun with a class full of very rambunctious second graders pretty much zapped all my energy for the night.  So Friday night (and Saturday morning actually)  I lazed around in our cool house and watched reruns of Dawson's Creek.  What could be better?  It has been in the 90s all weekend here, so staying in for a bit was necessary.

Saturday night is when the fun really started.  Luke and I had a little dinner-and-shopping date night, and then headed to his parents' house where we had a campfire.  The first of the year for us, and it felt like we were officially welcoming summer.


Sunday after church I headed to my parents house since they were grilling burgers and hot dogs for lunch.  My grandma and aunt were visiting, so we all ate on my parents' new patio and visited.  Mom had lots of good Prism-friendly food, including watermelon.  Since we can't have desserts on this diet, fruit is basically like candy to us, and the watermelon was one of the best things I've tasted in 4 weeks.  I'm going to have to buy one at the grocery store today for sure!

After that, Luke's aunt and uncle had a little party.  It was fun to hang out on their beautiful patio all afternoon!  We played Mexican Train for hours, ate delicious food, and watched baby Lilly take her first swim in the lake.



We were so tired by the end of the day, somebody (ahem...Luke) fell asleep on Lilly's blanket!


On Monday we were able to go to an Indians game with our brother-in-law's family.  And, no big deal, but we got to ride up to Cleveland in my dream vehicle...an Escalade! 



It was a hot, hot game!  90 degrees with absolutely no breeze.  But the Indians won, and it was a great game, so I'm glad we were able to go!  Our seats were also really close, which was great.



***
Before I sign off, I just wanted to share the recipe for the dip I made on Sunday.  It was so good, and healthy, too.  I found the recipe on Pinterest, but it was uploaded directly to Pinterest, so I have no link for it.  I thought I'd just type it out here since it's super simple:

Skinny Poolside Dip

Combine 1 can corn, 2 unseeded jalepenos - chopped finely, 1 diced red pepper, 1/2 can diced olives, 16 oz fat free cream cheese, and 1 packet Ranch dip seasoning mix.  Stir it all together and serve with crackers or tortilla chips.  My mom and I were able to eat it with our almond nut thin crackers, and it was even healthier that way.  This is definitely one I'll be making again over the summer, especially as the title says, for a day at the pool!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!  But more than that, I hope we don't forget the sacrifices that have been made so that we could live freely.

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks amazing! I def added it to my list of things to try :)
    Looks like you had a very nice weekend, hope the week goes smoothly, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!