Thursday, May 3, 2012

What I'm Eating

Before I get into some of the yummy things I've been eating lately, let's recap the things I'm not eating:

  • No wheat.  Most wheat is not allowed during the Prism diet (which started Monday) and avoiding it will also help my thyroid to work better.
  • No sugar, basically.  This is per Prism's requirement.  I am  only allowed to have products that contain sugar if it is listed 5th or further in the ingredients list.
  • No milk.  I have a milk sensitivity, and it is probably making my allergies much worse.  This is is surprisingly proving to be the most one difficult for me.  
Okay, so if those are the things I can't eat, then what the heck is left?!

I've actually been very shocked these first few days of Prism at how much I am finding that I can still eat.  And I'm really enjoying it!

Basically, I've been eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, rice, and meats.  I've been loving rice cakes with Smucker's all natural peanut butter, and sometimes with Smucker's strawberry Simply Fruit spread too.  Yum.  I like that for breakfast when I don't have eggs, because it fills the void where toast would normally be. I also like to have two for lunch sometimes in place of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  I just have to be a little careful, because peanut butter is pretty high in calories. 


As far as snacks go, I've been on a huge strawberry kick these past few days.  As I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge fruit person.  But I do love strawberries!  I'm going to have a field day when they're in season here!  I see many trips to White House in my future.

Also, I've been really enjoying those cocoa roast almonds I talked about a couple weeks ago.  I have to make sure I eat just one serving, because I think I could seriously eat the entire container in one sitting if I let myself!

And I discovered these almond nut thins in the organic section of Giant Eagle: they were on sale for $2 a box!  And they are made with almonds and rice flower, totally sugar and wheat-free.  I am technically not allowed to eat them during this stage of prism since they are crackers/chips, but I'm going to remember them for later.

Dinner is definitely the most challenging, yet most fun meal to plan.  Here are some things I've made lately:

One night I was really hungry for tacos, but obviously couldn't use a taco shell.  So I just put down a bunch of lettuce, and piled all the toppings on that.  It was delicious, and totally hit the craving.  (This was before I found out I couldn't have milk).  Admittedly, this was before I started Prism and calorie counting, so I would probably really watch my portion size next time, because I'm sure it's full of calories.

It's warming up here a lot this week, and I thought burgers would be perfect.  So Luke ate his the normal way, and I ate mine without the bun (and sadly, without cheese).  I piled it with lettuce, tomato, and sauteed onions.  I couldn't use ketchup because it contains sugar, but did you know mustard not only is sugar free, but it has 0 calories?  I was excited to see that!  I told Luke I thought my burger actually tasted better without the bun because I could taste it more.  And I didn't feel bloated afterwards from all that bread.  I served it with rice and sauteed yellow squash and onions.  It was a delicious and felt totally summer-y.

I found this chicken and rice soup on Pinterest a long time ago, and have been wanting to make it.  

When I realized it was Prism-friendly, I made it last weekend.  It was really good, and really low in calories! Totally filling, too.  Here's my picture, which again, looks nowhere near as good as the original one.  I can't figure out if I'm a bad cook, or if my iPhone camera just isn't doing these soups justice.  Hopefully it's the latter, because I thought it tasted pretty good! (I promise the chicken was cooked completely...I don't know why it looks kinda pink in this picture!)

Finally, last night I tried a recipe our Prism leaders shared.  I didn't take a picture, but it was basically just chicken with sauteed peppers and onions with salsa served over brown rice.  It was really good!  I have some leftovers for lunch, and I kind of can't wait to eat them later :-).  

Well that's about it for this week.  I've been going pretty strong with Prism since Monday, and have been staying under my calorie limit pretty well.  Unfortunately it's going to be really hard to do that with Luke's birthday (we're celebrating tomorrow evening).  It's kind of sad that I'll have to avoid the cake, but I guess it will be worth it in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!