Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving '10...A Lovely Day!

I guess my Thanksgiving started super late on Wednesday night. Luke had fallen asleep on our beautiful, new couch, but I still had energy coursing through my veins. (SO unlike me!!) So I stayed up until about 2:00 AM addressing Christmas cards and writing a little note on each one. I'm probably more than halfway done now!! And it was fun to stay up until the middle of the night like I used to.

Thursday morning began when I woke up at 10:00!! That's about 2 hours later than my normal sleep-in time these days, and it was really nice! When I got up, I had to make a dessert for my Grandparents' house. I was told to make a dessert, but not a pie. I decided to peruse The Pioneer Woman's dessert archives, and I found the perfect little treat: French Breakfast Puffs. You can find the recipe here.

Although they are "breakfast puffs," they're really more like doughnuts. Delicious, cinnamon, nutmeg doughnuts. They were so easy to make, and they made my entire house smell like nutmeg. I made 12 large ones for my grandma's house, but had tons of batter left over, so I also made some tiny ones for fun, and for taste-testing ;-) Aren't the tiny ones so cute? They look like doughnut holes.

These were a hit, and I will definitely make them again!

We did find that we liked the little ones better than the big ones, because the big ones are sooo filling, and because you obviously get more cinnamon sugar in each bite and less cakey stuff with the little ones. They are also even more delicious when they are still warm. And I have to say, I think they kind of taste like these cinnamon doughnuts straight form White House! P-Dub sure knows what she's doing when it comes to good food ;-)

Anyway, our first stop of the day was my Grandparents' house. The whole day reminded me of that episode of Gilmore Girls where Rory and Lorelei have 4 Thanksgiving dinners to make it to. But instead of 4, we just had 3. And we did not eat at each place. Honest! :-)

At my grandparents', we ate a delicious, traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Grandma always does everything up very fancily. I did not take any pictures, because I made a conscious effort to leave my camera in my purse. Sometimes when I'm busy taking pictures, I don't get to fully enjoy everything. Know what I mean?

Anyway. As we ate, all the cousins and our husbands/fiances sat at a separate table. We laughed that even in our mid-twenties, we are somehow still at the "kid's table."

After dinner, all the ladies sat around the big table while the men watched football. And then all too soon it was time to head to our next destination: Luke's Grandma and Grandpa W's house.

There we honestly did not eat anything, if you can believe that! I don't think we could have if we had wanted to. At this spot, we watched football and chatted with family, and again, it was a very nice time!

After a few hours, it was time to move on again, to Luke's Grandma and Grandpa H's house. This was a fun place to end the day! We somehow ate a little more here, because Luke's Grandma always makes delicious risotto for Thanksgiving. It is Luke's absolute favorite thing to eat in the world.

After dinner, a bunch of us played a really fun game called Wits and Wagers. We played for a looong time, because it was addicting! Luke laughed at those of us who were playing the game, because he was laying in a big armchair in the living room, watching football and trying to take a little nap, and every few minutes we would all yell or start laughing, and he just could not fall asleep! Haha...I love being blessed to be a part of this family...they are so much fun!

After the game, Luke and I talked with his grandparents and looked up flights for when we visit them in AZ this winter!! I am so excited!

After awhile, it was time to head out and we left with enough leftovers to feed an army!! And I'm only slightly exaggerating.

When I got home, I relaxed and watched the first part of Home Alone 2 before it was time to go out AGAIN! Mom, Julie and I decided to see a late showing of Tangled because we all thought it looked so cute!

We were not disappointed! It reminded me of the old Disney princess movies, like Beauty and the Best or Aladdin. We got to see it in 3D, and the visuals were stunning. I LOVED it, and will definitely be adding it to my Disney blu-ray collection :-)

After the movie I came home to an empty house...Luke had gone with his sisters to Walmart at midnight to get some cheap blu-rays. So I laid on our couch and turned on Home Alone 2 again. Luke got home, and we were laying head to head since our couch is L-shaped, and Gabby was laying on my lap and Ellie was laying on my stomach. It was so cozy, and a wonderful way to end the day! We ended up staying up until 3:00 AM! When I was in college, I would often stay up that late on the weekends, and it felt so nice to be able to do that again with no real commitments the next morning to worry about!

I hope everyone else had a blessed Thanksgiving, too! Tomorrow I will be revealing our Christmas trees, so come back! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!