Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hey Christian Girl: My Thoughts

I've seen many blog posts about and pins from the website: "Hey Christian Girl."  Have you heard of it yet?  It really is hilarious!  Honestly, I think all Christian girls or women have wanted our men to say these things to us.  It's funny in the same way that Jon Acuff's blog, "Stuff Christians Like" (one of my favorite blogs) is funny. It's just so relateable to those of us who are a part of the Christian culture.  

Here are a couple of examples if you haven't seen the website yet: 


Both found here

I'm sure if you have a Pinterest account, you've seen the "Hey Girl" posts, and this just puts a Christian spin on things.  Basically it's a bunch of ridiculously good-looking guys saying stuff that every Christian girl wants to hear.  

There's no harm in that, right?  I giggled while I clicked through a few pages.  Back in high school, I can remember wishing for a guy that treated me like that and said all those things to me.  

And I'm not going to say that it is wrong to enjoy this page.  However, as Christian women, I think we really need to examine our own hearts and make sure we are not getting idealistic expectations through these websites.  

For the teenage girl or single woman: 
Maybe you're perfectly happy being single, and that's awesome!  But I know I was far from content before I got to know Luke.  A website like this probably would have made me more discontent.  (kind of like how I can't look at baby clothes now without feeling pangs of discontentment).  

Also, I know before I started dating, I started drawing a picture in my mind of what I wanted my future spouse to be like.  I had lots of ideas.  Parts of that picture came from my experiences, parts came from my personality, and lots of other parts probably came from outside sources, like the media, the church, and my friends.  Websites like this may have given me standards that no human person could live up to.  Remember, the people we date aren't perfect, or else they would take the place of God in our lives.

For the woman who is in a serious relationship or married:
Anyone who's been in a relationship for more than a few months knows that serious relationships aren't always chocolate and roses.  Our spouses will fail us, and we will fail them.  Multiple times.  Sometimes in the same day.  It is easy to become disillusioned in our relationships.  Again, we have to remember that God is the only perfect thing in our lives, and we can't expect our spouses to be perfect.  If your marriage is on rocky ground, I would say this website is something to steer clear of!  It could make you feel more discontent with your own marriage, giving you an impossible standard for your husband to live up to.  

Is my main point in this post to say that websites like this are evil, and no Christian should ever visit them?  Definitely not.  I'm just saying that Satan likes to use unlikely places to plant ideas or doubts in our minds.  

Think of the movie Inception.  Cobb said, "What's the most resilient parasite? An idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world, and rewrite all the rules...."  

It's so true.  One little thought or idea breeds more and more like it.  Before we know it, Satan has a foothold on our lives.  

I can compare this website to romance movies or novels -- even Christian ones.  It is fun, and definitely made purely for entertainment.  We need to know ourselves, and whether or not it's okay for us to look at this website.  

Read with caution.  Don't take it seriously.  And never compare the men in your lives to those on this website!

What are your thoughts on this website?


2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I haven't checked out the website, but I think I'm inclined to agree with your thoughts on this, Jessica. It's easy to let things like this make us discontented with our relationships. I like when you said to "know yourself" and know if this kind of thing could be a problem for you personally. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Christian coming from a semi-conservative background growing up in West Tx, and especially in college surrounded by Christians who were inclined to use very specific lingo (I did for a long time, too), looking at these pictures makes me laugh. I view it as a humorous twist on what modern church culture defines relationships by...it seems to be making an ironic statement about what we view as necessary in Christian relationships, when in fact it sometimes might be a matter of opinion. Either way, it makes me smile during work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!