Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hallelujah Night

We had such a great evening at Hallelujah Night at our church last night! I'm glad we got our trunk ready in time for Trunk-or-Treat. We borrowed Mom's van for it, and I think it turned out great!

Here is our "sweet" van ;-)
(Contrary to what you might think you see, I am in fact, NOT 18 weeks pregnant. Or pregnant at all. Apparently I just need to get back on the Wii Fit train :-P)
There were lots of adorable trunks, and even some live animals :-) One of my best friends, Rachel, and her dad set up this awesome God's army-themed Jeep. We got to park right next to them, so it was fun spending the evening with them!
We were the very first trunk set up in the long line of them. So we had the job of passing out bags full of fun treats, and mini water bottles to all the kids. It turned out being pretty hectic for the first hour, because we just had WAY more kids than we thought we would! Only about half of the bags were filled, so Luke and my mom were frantically filling the bags while I was busy smiling, passing out the bags, and saying "you're welcome" a bajillion times after just about every child was prompted by his or her parent to say "thank you." ;-) We completely ran out of just about everything at one point, and were just passing out bags filled with one mini water bottle each. The kids probably thought our van was really lame at that point, compared to the others who were all passing out candy! Then we got some more candy, but ran out of water bottles, so we were just putting 3 or 4 pieces of candy in each bag. It was crazy, but I guess that's a great problem to have! A lot of people from the community who don't normally come to church were there with their kids:-)

Here's Luke filling bags and trying to keep up. We could see the end of the line in the distance, but it just never seemed to make it to us! :-)
Across the parking lot from us, a family was frying up some homemade french fries. It was a windy night and the smell kept wafting over in our direction. I had only eaten a turkey sandwich and some crackers for lunch, and hadn't had time to grab anything before I left for the church, so the smell was taunting and irresistable. Needless to say, multiple trips to they fry stand were made last evening;-) And I think they said that they used somewhere between 200 and 300 lbs of potatoes throughout the course of the evening!! Yikes!

And that was just the beginning of the deliciousness. There was so much chili and cornbread inside, not to mention cookies and doughnuts...yum! It was hard not to go back inside for seconds!The children also had lots of fun carnival games and bounce houses in the gym. Oh yeah, and face painting! The lines got sooo long, they almost filled up the gym and lobby areas. But no one would get out of line because they were having so much fun!

So overall, Hallelujah Night was a hit again this year! I only wish I were 7 years old again ;-) That's the only thing that could have made the night more fun for me!

We don't really have too many plans for today. We never did get to carve our pumpkins on Thursday, though, so we will probably spend the afternoon or evening doing that. And roasting some pumpkin seeds!

I've decided to try to lay off the scary movies this year. Instead of finding the scary movie marathons on TV like I normally do, I'm going to watch the Halloween specials of the sitcoms that we DVR that have been recording for the past week. Next on the agenda is one of the Home Improvement Halloween episodes! Hmm...I wonder if I can find more Halloween reruns on youtube.

So yeah, it sounds like we're going to have a pretty uneventful Halloween at our house. But that's fine with me! :-)

Don't forget about the photo scavenger hunt!! The Deadline is Monday! I will probably put the post up tomorrow that you can link to for your pictures, and I will leave it up until at least Monday night at midnight. Then on Tuesday, we will start voting for the winner! There's still time, even if you haven't starteed yet. Don't forget, there are prizes!

2 comments:

  1. Your van turned out so cute! What a blessing to your community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your van was soooooooo cute! I am saving these pictures in my "Inspiration" file! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!