Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Thoughts on Politics

Alternately titled: "Can't we All Just Get Along?"

Already, social media is BLOWING UP with information and opinions regarding the 2012 Presidential Election.

I get it. It's a BIG DEAL. And we should all be passionate about what we believe and stand for!

However, the thing that's bugging me right now is how we are all so busy trying to be RIGHT, that I think we're forgetting what's important.

Yes, some of us are Democrats. And some of us are Republicans. And whatever else.

But we are all Americans.

we are one nation, under God.

And I'm certainly no expert. But I think if we would all come together and stop trying to be so right all the time, we might get somewhere! We need to stop letting the party line separate us!

On Sunday, my pastor mentioned that he's a "Republicrat." And I liked that. I like to think of myself the same way.

Yes, I lean strongly toward the Republican side of things. But there are some areas in which I agree more with Democrats. I think the best way to vote is to strongly go with what you think is best for our nation. Not strictly with what your party believes.

Those are my two cents, and I feel very passionately about it!

***

As a funny side story, last year on election day, everyone on Facebook was arguing and complaining and being very negative all around. I found myself in a bad mood because of it.

So I promised myself I would not log on to Facebook on election day next year.

Well, I recently realized I didn't know the exact date of election day, 2012. So I looked it up.

Turns out, this year is going to be just like the year I was born:

This year, just like 1984, my birthday happens to fall on the first Tuesday of November. During a presidential election, no less!

And everybody knows your birthday is the most fun Facebook day of the year!

So anyway, in some crazy oxymoron sort of phenomenon, November 6 will the best and worst Facebook day of the year for me. What are the odds? And what a dilemma! ;-)


6 comments:

  1. Haha, I agree--Facebook is the worst for politics! It's fun to have good conversations and disagree with people, but sometimes people take it to the extreme because they are not face to face with each other.

    You should throw yourself an election birthday party! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are saying, but I think (for us Christians) there are certain areas of politics that aren't just opinion-based, they are most definitely right and wrong - like sanctity of life and gay marriage. I don't go just with my party believes, I go with what I personally think is right, but there is precious little I agree with Democrats about. As long as there are differing ideologies (on those subjects especially), there is going to be a political debate. Something like sanctity of life isn't something that we can just "put the party line" aside on - you are either pro-life, or you are not, and there isn't a compromise, and the two sides of the issue are always going to produce friction.

    I'm talking for politicians by the way - I don't have a problem with discussing politics with friends or family, but there does have to be a level of civility, more so than for politicians, because we have to live with these people! :-) But it is good to stand up for what you believe is right, and unfortunately when you do that there will always be people who disagree. It doesn't mean people have to get nasty, and it doesn't mean you can't get along in other respects. But a good debate isn't necessarily a bad thing.

    We must be on the same wavelength today, by the way - I just posted about voting on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Callie, I agree with you that there are some right and wrong issues, and I wasn't saying there wasn't. I would never vote for a politician who believed strongly against certain issues that are clearly wrong in my book. However, I was talking more about issues and maybe not politicians so much. And I totally think a FRIENDLY (key word) debate is a great thing, and even needed. Naturally, we're not all going to agree. However, what I've been seeing lately is anything but friendly. I've seen friendships end because of hateful comments brought on my political debate. And I'm sick of all the character assassination of politicians and our President. That's mostly what I was focusing on in this post. I should have been more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to spur debate or anything, but sometimes the black and white "right and wrong" issues differ not only between parties, but between Christians. I'm a Christian and am in full support of gay marriage. Won't get into the reasoning, but just wanted to throw out there that it's not always cut and dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura! I don't want to get into a debate on this either, and I am aware that there are Christians who think gay marriage (or even abortion) is okay. But I feel the need to say that I do think these are black and white issues. God's word is very clear in saying that homosexuality is wrong, and I just don't see a way around that on the gay marriage issue. Like I said, I don't want a debate, so this will be my only comment on that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Callie. :) I can definitely appreciate your viewpoint, and it's admirable that you adhere to it so strongly. I have a tendency to get pretty passionate when discussing the gay marriage debate, so I'm just going to leave it at that and we can agree to disagree. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!