Friday, January 20, 2012

The Only Place to Fall


It was a warm, spring afternoon, and I was taking a walk with my good friend Sarah. She may not even remember this. But we were catching up, just talking about life. I spoke to her about the possibility of quitting my full-time job, and going back to school in the fall.

I can't remember the exact words she used in her response, but they went something like this:

"Wow, that sounds like it will be really hard. But it will be an excellent chance to stretch your faith. The best situations for stretching our faith in God are those where we have nowhere to fall but into his arms."

Sarah can correct me if I got this quote totally wrong. but I know it was along those lines. And the major gist of what she was saying has stuck with me until today.

This year has definitely been a faith-stretching year, since I did end up quitting my job and going back to school. The first few months I found myself worrying a lot. I didn't know how we were going to make ends meet some of the time.

Finally, by about October, I had a revelation: God was going to take care of us. It didn't matter how few days I subbed or how many bills we had. As long as we trusted, gave back our first fruits, and asked Him, God provided. In many cases we even had more than enough, which made absolutely no sense since we had so much less money coming in than normal.

Yesterday we got some news. We could look at this news as a huge stresser. At this point, there are a lot of questions and we can't see any answers yet. All we know is that all of a sudden we have an immediate need, and we have no idea how it will be met. We are officially out on a limb, with nowhere to fall except His arms.

What we do know is that God won't let us hit the ground. He is there to catch us, no matter what. He has simply provided us with another situation where His power will be proven.

So today instead of worrying and trying to answer the millions of questions in my head, I am choosing to rest in His peace. I can't wait to find out how He will put all the pieces of this situation together in His perfect way. And when He does, I will definitely share all the details here in the hopes that this chapter of our story will help others to see that there is a God, and that He is a mighty, powerful God. He always provides if we seek Him first.

***

Before I sign off, I just want to thank everyone for your sweet comments on my last post. I really don't write posts like that for sympathy, but instead to hopefully show others that there is hope in every bad situation and that God has a perfect plan in mind. But your comments made my heart happy, and brought me a lot of encouragement!

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Haha you make me sound so much more eloquent than I possibly could be, Jess. I DO remember saying something like that though...because I was starting to do the same thing in my life. What a revelation! It is a scary situation, but it is so exciting to see how God works things out when they seem impossible! I'm expecting big things. Big things!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!