Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Unplanned by Abby Johnson - My Thoughts


I feel like I need to preface this post by saying a few things:

First of all, I have not completely finished reading the book Unplanned by Abby Johnson. But this post has been formulating in my head for awhile, and I'm going to write it anyway. Because I may never have time to finish it now that anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing have completely stolen just about every waking moment of my life. (Not sure how I've found time to blog lately!)

And secondly, I don't usually post about controversial topics here on the blog, so I hope I don't get any really mean comments.

Also, totally petty but I apologize that the font sizes on this post got all messed up and Blogger is not letting me fix it. Which makes me want to bang my head against my desk considering my OCD tendencies :-P But I'm trying to ignore it.

Okay, forging ahead. If you haven't heard about Unplanned I'll give a very brief outline of the plot. It's about a woman who was the director at a Planned Parenthood in Texas. Through an experience there, she decided to walk away from her job and join the Coalition for Life.

First of all, I have to say that this book completely changed my perception of organizations like Planned Parenthood. It gave me a compassion for the people who work there, and showed me that they have compassion for women going through an unwanted pregnancy, just like people on the other side of the abortion debate. They have a heart for hurting women, and their intentions are nothing but good. They just happen to disagree with people like me on the abortion debate.

I personally am 100% against abortion. It hurts my heart so much to know that I would give almost anything to have a baby, and there are women out there who are purposely ending their pregnancies.

However...

Sometimes the way I see pro-lifers going about trying to change others' opinions on the matter is just as offensive to me. And I'm not saying this to judge anyone, because I used to be the same way. I used to have debates with a certain friend on this issue that I'm sure have pushed her further in the other direction because I went about it the wrong way.

I could sit here and argue all the points against abortion all day long. But I think we've all heard all the arguments for and against this issue already. I'm confident that there's nothing anybody could say that would change my stance on this issue. And the thing is, that's probably true of a lot of people on the other side of the argument. I've read some Christian blogs who've written about this issue, and I think that by arguing their point further and further, they've just turned off the people on the other side, and made them more hateful of us, and also made them more adamant about their own opinions.

This book has shown me that instead of arguing, protesting, and ultimately hating one another, it is so much more important to show each other love and compassion. Jesus did not change people by arguing and protesting. He won the people over by His loving and compassionate words and actions, and then lives were changed. I have learned it is much more important to love others than it is to be "right."

I don't think you will ever find me arguing about the abortion issue, because I don't want to turn anyone off from Christians or other pro-life supporters. But in the past year or two, I've decided there is one issue that I would love to promote. And that is:

Adoption.

I can't tell you how much my eyes have been opened in the past year-and-a-half about adoption. As someone who is struggling to start a family, I have considered the idea of possibly adopting someday. I even think I'd like to adopt if we are able to have children of our own. (Luke and I haven't really seriously discussed this yet, so I'm just talking and dreaming here). I think it is such a noble thing for someone to do to go through pregnancy for 9 months, and then give the gift of a child to someone who so desperately wants to be a parent.

I don't understand why God let's couples go through infertility. And I don't understand why He lets so many women become pregnant who are not ready. It all comes down to the fact that we live in a fallen world, and bad things happen. But to me, adoption is the beautiful solution to such ugly problems. Maybe God let's couples go through infertility because He knows they can provide the loving home for a baby that the biological parents just can't. It's such a beautiful thing to me!

I hope I have not ruffled too many feathers today. But this book has brought a lot of things to mind, and has had me mulling them over in my mind for weeks. So I knew I had to share some of my thoughts.

Have you read this book? What were your thoughts? And if you haven't read it, it is eye-opening, no matter on which side of the issue you stand.

5 comments:

  1. I should read that book sometime. The prolife movement is something that weighs heavy on my heart...I often pray that someday God will open a door for me to get involved some how, either with a Crisis Pregnancy center, or some other means of support.

    As somebody who has several adopted siblings, that topic is also very close to my heart. The idea that a mother would carry her child for nine months and then let it go just melts my heart. I have heard adopted children ask "Why did they give me up? Why didn't they want me?" And the best answer in the world...? "She loved you so much, she gave you life, which was the greatest gift she had to offer."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book too, and it gave me more compassion for those on the other side of the issue - they are just regular people who are lost. I agree that arguing the point with individuals is not the best route to go - Abby was "loved" to the other side, and I think that's how we need to approach it too! However, I just want to clarify that I think not arguing about it doesn't mean we shouldn't say what we think when the opportunity presents itself, because we still are the only voice for the unborn. And politically, I think it is important to argue the issue so that the laws can change (I'm talking about people running for or holding political office here). Good thoughts, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should write this! I just saw Abby Johnson as a guest speaker last week at a ProLife Gala. Her side of the story was one that I've literally never heard before. Very eye opening and heartbreaking all at once!

    I love the stories of adoption that I hear so often. Precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll admit that when I was struggling to get pregnant I was getting really bitter over the fact that there were women out there ending the lives of innocent babies that I was just dying to have. That made me bitter, and I still struggle with acceptance on that part. I do understand however, that going through an abortion it's almost never an easy decision for a woman, so my heart does hurt for them, as well as for their unborn baby.
    Very touching post Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I agree that arguing is not going to solve anything, and I also agree that we should be promoting adoption. I too wonder why God lets some people get pregnant before they're ready and keeps others from ever having a baby, but I have learned that it's not for me to know why He does what He does in other people's life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!