Sunday, April 26, 2009

Heat Wave

Gabby's trying to stay cool - she could feel the breeze coming in the kitchen window. (Please excuse the disgustingness of the window...we hope to eventually replace all of them).

Ever since Friday, it has felt like we've just jumped right into the middle of June here! And these 80+ degree temperatures aren't going to end until Tuesday.

The entire weekend has felt like summer. It's kind of a shock to realize that I in fact DO have work tomorrow, and for the next five weeks after that :-P But this weather has been so amazing while it's lasted!

So what did I do on this summery weekend? Lots of summery stuff :-) After my mom and I went garage saleing, I came home and laid out and read. Unfortunately, I spent more time on my stomach than my back, and ended up with a very strange sunburn on the back of my legs only. Serves me right, I guess.

After that, Luke and his friend JC were finishing up a few projects in our third floor room. We have no air conditioning, and heat rises, so it was 93 degrees in that room while they were working! I know, they're crazy. I decided to make them a little peach tea to cool them down. And yum...it was good and refreshing if I do say so myself! I just made 3 cups of hot peach tea, added lots of sugar, and chilled it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and added lots of ice.
Yum...that picture makes my mouth water for some more!

Speaking of refreshments, I discovered a new addiction this weekend:
Just like goldfish, but cheesier! Yum! And no trans fat, which I've been told is a good thing. Other than that, they're not exactly healthy. But definitely a tasty snack!

Anyway, late last night Luke and I decided we just could not let the day end without going out for some ice cream. So we went to Baskin Robbins at about 9:00. I got this:
Simply delicious! Luke got some fruity drink...in hindsight, I think we both wish we would have gotten actual ICE CREAM, but it was fun none the less :-)

And since it seems like every Saturday night has becoming movie-renting night for us, we stopped by Family Video and rented "Lakeview Terrace." It was a pretty decent movie, and I can honestly say it's the first one I haven't fallen aspleep during in MONTHS. So that says something!

Today we had church, and then we grilled burgers and fried up some homemade french fries for lunch. After that we didn't do much - it was too hot inside and outside to do much of anything.

We even decided it was too hot to cook, so we had dinner at the great Golden Arches :-P Classy, right? And on the way home, we had a very serious conversation about our future, which was awesome.

Luke's not much of a talker, and definitely a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type of guy. So he definitely doesn't like to talk much about the future. But tonight he seemed into it, so I took full advantage. We kind of mapped out a five-year plan.

This is why I love blogging. I can write my plan now, and in 5 years I can see if we made it or not :-)

So here it is (probably boring to everyone but me :-P):

1. Pay off all debt, other than the house (this one should be able to be done in the next few months! Hooray!)

2. Make a large part of our budget dedicated to our future down payment on a forever house. (If you don't know our house story, we were lucky to be able to buy a tri-plex for a very low price from my uncle last fall. We live in the top apartment and rent out the other two, so we are basically living here for free with the rent money. We obviously would eventually like to buy a house just for us, and rent out the top apartment too, which just so happens to also be the biggest and nicest apartment. Which means this one would bring in more money than the other two).

3. Save up money in our "forever house" budget like CRAZY for the next 5 years.

4. Ideally, in 5 years we would like to buy some land to build our dream house on, but if not, we'd just like to buy a dream house. We will be about 30 by this time, so I think it's doable!

5. Rent out top apartent, the one that we're living in now.

6. Start having babies!!! This step may very well happen before we buy the forever house. If that happens we will turn our office into a nursery. But we probably can't have more than one baby in the little apartment we live in now, so we gotta get moving on the plan!

And there you have it. I'm going to have to bookmark this post, so I can check up on my progress! Ha!

Thanks for tuning in for another unneccesarily long post. Enjoy your last week of April!!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! My hubby isn't much of a talker about the future either, so I know what you mean! Sounds like you hada great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so hot here, too, air-conditioner hot. And I made peach ice tea, too! My favorite. How great that you have a five-year plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have a plan. And I'm old. Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts always make me hungry for a snack! Now I'm going to have to go scrounge in the kitchen for something . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol maybe I shouldn't post about food so much, Callie. Can you tell it's always on my mind? This is the reason I'm having trouble losing weight :-P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!