Friday, August 28, 2009

Yay!

Walking into the teacher prep. day at school today, I really wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't even know exactly what I was going to be doing this year or where I would be doing it from.

Much to my surprise, I found out that I get MY OWN CLASSROOM!!! Like, a real, full-sized classroom all to myself! The funny thing is, I'll be doing math pull-out intervention, so I'll only have about 5 or 6 kids in the classroom at a time. During certain periods of the day, I'll be doing one-on-one instruction in there! So I've got a lot of extra space. The classroom is at the perfect spot in the building, too. It's tucked away in a quiet corner right beside an exit door. In other words, it will be peaceful, and I won't have to walk a mile to get to the parking lot every day like I have for the past 2 years. Yay! Although it is within hearing distance of the music room. So maybe it won't be totally peaceful (especially around Christmas musical and spring musical times!)

Although I'm really excited, there were a few not-so-fun things that I discovered today: First of all, some of the students I'll be tutoring have some MAJOR behavior issues, which is never fun. Also, I have two duties. I have morning playground duty for a half-hour with all the 4-6 graders who come to school early, and I also have a lunch duty. During the lunch duty, there will be 2 other teachers in the cafeteria, and my only major job will be to oversee one specific student who has major behavior problems (ie hitting others with his lunch box when he's finished eating for no apparent reason). So who knows what to expect with that one. Last year I only had one duty assignment, so that's kind of a bummer this year!

Tomorrow I'm probably spending the day at Cedar Point with Luke. What a fun way to end the summer! And then Sunday I'm planning on spending lots of time in town looking for decorations for my classroom :-) That's the bad thing about not finding out about having my own classroom until right before the year starts: all the other teachers had weeks to decorate their classrooms, but I'm kind of rushed decorating mine.

Have a super weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Have fun decorating your classroom! And I hope the kids with behavioral problems will behave for you - we can always hope, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how awesome that you get your own classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so exciting!! Hopefully the kids behave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is SO exciting! I hope you get some neat things to decorate your room, and that you start your school year renewed and refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for your own classroom! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such cool news!! I hope everything goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!