Wednesday, August 12, 2009

You're Gonna Miss This

I decided to take a quick break from packing to post something. I was busy cleaning the house and packing before lunch...I'm finally getting into the crazy nesting mode I go into before a vacation. Not sure why it took so long to get there! But anyway, I was listening to my trusty mp3 player. I never clean without it! It keeps me motivated. I digress...

Anyway, a song randomly came on by Trace Atkins that I've heard a thousand times before, but it just hit me differently today, especially after my post earlier today about wanting a baby.

You're gonna Miss This: Trace Atkins

She was staring out the window of that SUV
Complaining, saying "I can't wait to turn 18."
She said, "I'll make my own money,
And I'll make my own rules."
Mama put the car in park out there in front of the school.
And she kissed her head
And said, "I was just like you.

"But you're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times.
So take a good look around. You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this."

Before she knows it, she's a brand new bride.
In her one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by.
He tells her it's a nice place.
She says, "It'll do for now."
Starts talking about babies, and buying a house.
Daddy shakes his head, says "Baby, just slow down

"'Cause you're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna with these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times.
So take a good look around. You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this."

Five years later there's a plumber working on the water heater;
dog's barking, phone's ringing, one kid's crying, one kid's screaming.
And she keeps apologizing,
He says, "They don't bother me. I've got two babies of my own: one's 36, one's 23."

"You're gonna miss this. You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times.
So take a good look around. You may not know it now.
But you're gonna miss this."

That second verse just sounds exactly like me! But this song just made me slow down today and realized how blessed I am in this stage of my life. I'm still a newlywed, Luke and I are still learning to love each other more and more everyday, and we are basically free at this point. Other than jobs and bills, we don't have too many responsibilities. The other night, Luke and I spent the evening together at home just playing Wii golf and tennis. It was so great just being together, playing, laughing, and making fun of each other/ourselves. We have times like this all the time that I just don't really appreciate as much as I should. Once we have kids, times like these (just the two of us) will be few and far-between. So I'm glad this song reminded me today that I don't need to rush things! Maybe this is that answer to the prayer that I've been praying for awhile now.

Don't forget to appreciate those special moments in life that you won't ever get back!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog today. I just wrote a post about babies today too(different reasons though). Anyways, this song is always a wake up call when I hear it, and I agree that we need to appreciate it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song! I cry every time I hear it! So poignant and true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this song. It describes me so often too, but it's a good reminder to slow down and enjoy where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was such a sweet post! I think this can definitely work for truly any stage in life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!