Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Quarter-Life Crisis

That's what I seem to be having these days. I'm completely questioning my decision to become a teacher.

To avoid an extremely long story, I will just say that through a strange set of events, I have been introduced to the court reporting and broadcast captioning fields. Court reporting is just typing up transcripts of trials or depositions, and broadcast captioning is typing the closed captioning for live TV shows in real time. These sound like really random jobs, but apparently there is a big demand for them right now. They only require a 2 year associate degree, and they pay really well. And it just so happens that one of the few schools that offers these programs is in Canton, Ohio, 40 minutes from my house. AND they offer the programs online! It just seems too good to be true. I honestly would love a job where I don't have to deal with people too much. I'm too much of a people-pleaser, and it makes life miserable! And if I took the broadcast captioning route, I could work from home. This is a dream job for someone like me, who wants to have a few kids someday!

Now I'm not just jumping headfirst into the program and abandoning the whole teaching thing. I've decided I need lots of time to think about this. And to PRAY about this. My plan is to wait to start the program (IF I decide to go that route) next fall. And that's only if I don't get a full-time teaching job for next year (I'm just an aide right now, and NOT really loving it). If I still don't have a teaching job by next fall, and if I still feel this hopelessness and discontentment with where my professional life is, I will jump headfirst into one of the two programs I mentioned, and totally change the course of my career path. If I wait 6 months, I know I won't be making a spur of the moment decision.

I know this post is boring, but the reason I started my blog was to document everything I am going through. And obviously this is a pretty big thing. It's really exciting, and I can't wait to see what happens. It makes it a little bit easier to get out of bed in the morning and head out to a job that seems to be leading nowhere. By this time next year, I'll either be teaching, or about 1/3 of the way through a court reporting or broadcast captioning associates degree program. I feel good :-) I guess this goes along with my New Years resolution to make things happen and be proactive. I'm not going to stay in a job where I'm not content, and have a bad attitude anymore!

Here's to embracing each day, giving God the steering wheel of life, and feeling positive about what the future will bring :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!