Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I'm Still Yours

On my quest to read through the Old Testament, I'm currently reading through Job. Wow. I've read bits of it before, but it's still difficult to read. Job had everything taken away and was put through physical torture to the point where He was basically begging God to just let him die. And even though God was allowing him to go through all of that, Job never once turned his back on Him. That's amazing faith.

I don't know about you, but after reading about someone like that, I feel like a wimp. Here I am, quite honestly having a pity party this morning because of certain things in my life that are stressing me out or not going the way I want them to. When I compare this to what Job went through, the issues really are nothing. I have so much to be thankful for, and I'm so blessed!

After reading Job, I realize that when we go through trials it is because God trusts us and knows we can handle them. They're a chance for us to prove that nothing will pull us away from God. In fact, if we look at them the right way, trials have a way of pushing us much closer to God and greatly strengthening our faith and building our character. It also builds our testimonies, so that we can use our own stories to minister to others.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you will be mature and complete, not lacking anything. ~James 1:2-4

I was washing the dishes the other night when this song came on Pandora. I know it wasn't a coincidence. I'm realizing what the only important thing is in life. And even when lots of things feel scary or unsure, I will focus on that one thing, and rest in the peace it brings.


3 comments:

  1. So true, Jessica - trials can bring us closer to God if we let them! I love the story of Job because of his faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story of Job never stopes to amaze me. It's insane how strong his faith was. Whenever I feel like my world is coming down on me, I think of his story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book of Job always inspires me to be sold out to God...I AM His! I sometimes wonder if I have that much faith though! wow. Deep thoughts! And I LOVE those verses from James...great book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!