Monday, January 12, 2009

Guess What I Found!

While cleaning out my closet on Saturday, I found all my old journals!
I've been journaling since I was in second grade...seriously. My parents got me the ballerina journal when I went to see the Nutcracker in Cleveland in second grade. It probably took me a LONG time to fill that first journal up, but as I got older, I'd fill up a journal in as little as six months. In college I finally got the good idea of buying huge notebooks and using them as journals. And I guess my journaling has evolved even further, into a blog.

Anyway, I decided that whenever I'm bored and just want to reminisce, I would pull out my journal, and see what happened on this day in [fill in the year here].

So on this day in 2001 (I was 16 and a sophomore in high school), here is what I wrote in my journal:

Friday, January 12, 2001

Well, my life hasn't been too exciting in the last few days. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Speaking of "getting over it," I'm like totally over Levi [older ex-boyfriend who I most definitely was NOT totally over] I woke up this morning and for the first time in months, he wasn't the first thing that came to my mind. I might see him tomorrow and I don't even care. I could not care less about him anymore. It's weird. It's like all of a sudden I don't want anything to do with him at all. I actually feel kind of releived. [Not sure why it would make me RELEIVED to not want anything to do with someone :-P]

Tomorrow I get to go see "Miss Congeniality" with Kristin. [high school/church friend who is STILL one of my best friends] It should be fun. I'm starting to realize that I need to stop worrying so much about finding a guy, and just worry about having fun with my friends.

Okay, sorry so short, but I g/g to bed!

Jess

Everything in black is obviously me talking NOW. This entry just cracks me up. Mostly because I pined over Levi for at LEAST a year after this, although I thought I was over him. Hindsight sure is 20/20.

Another funny thing about that is that after I went to see Miss Congeniality with Kristin that night, we went to a party at another friends' house, and Luke (as in, my husband now) was there. I honestly thought he was a snobby jerk at the time, and he was dating my second cousin! I remember they were all over each other that night, and I was disgusted. Things change SO MUCH! Luke and I were in the same youth group, but didn't really hang out with the same people in high school. We didn't start dating until college.

I just love looking back on my life, and noticing in my journals, the things that have made me who I am today. For example, at the very end, I wisely noted how I needed to stop worrying about guys, and start worrying about having fun. Although I was too into boys to actually do this at the time, it's exactly what I was doing when Luke and I first started falling for each other. I had just ended a year-long (unhealthy) relationship, and quite frankly wanted nothing to do with guys. I was too busy trying to get over the relationship, and enjoy life to worry about guys. And that's when Luke really came into my life. It always happens when you're least expecting it :-)

So there you go, hopefully that wasn't too boring. It was fun for me to look back at my old journals! Be expecting more posts like this in the future :-)

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! You can look back and see how much 'the way you think about things' has changed. And I didn't realize that movie was so old! I feel old now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story and a wonderful way to see how much you've grown and changed. I used to keep journals, but other people felt they had a right to read them w/o my permission then used what I had written against me. It was devastating. So I stopped doing it. Guess that's why I'm so cautious about what I write and choose my words so carefully.

    Thanks for the photo tips. I'll give it a try.

    BTW....I did the FPU last year. It's an amazing course. You and Luke will truly benefit from it. Blessings, Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!