Friday, January 2, 2009

Our House: Part Two

Unfortunately I don't have too much exciting news from my New Years Eve or New Years Day parties. On NYE, the party we went to was crashed by a bunch of high schoolers from our church who were not invited, so it was too crowded and not as much fun as we had hoped! And yesterday our New Years Day party was fun, but not too exciting. The girls played board games while the guys watched football all day, so I don't want to write a whole boring post about that.

So I'll write the second part of my house story...hopefully that's a little more interesting :-)

Other than the kitchen, the bathroom is the room that needed the most work. Here are some before pictures:Notice the lovely blue carpet. You can't tell from the picture, but it was covering a totally uneven floor. Also notice the little closet in the picture above.

Gross...you can tell this picture is taken after we took off the ugly lily pad border. Sorry you missed the ugliness!

And here's the first one AFTER:
I'll be honest and say that this is probably my least favorite room in the house. I'm not exactly sure if the flooring and the blue, white, and brown colors really "jive." But at least it looks a LOT better than it did before! And notice that the little closet has been converted to a laundry room! I'm loving the fact that I don't have to go down any steps with loads of laundry!

Here's the other view after

The room also has a very dark brown shower curtain that I didn't get a picture of, but it kind of ties in the brown with the blue. I'm seriously thinking about painting the upper walls a nice caramely-brownish color. I just think that would work better. But this room was a serious pain in the butt to paint because of all the little corners and nooks and crannys. So I'll probably wait at least a year or two.

Here's the list of things we had to do to this room:
1. Rip up all the ugly blue carpet
2. Level the floor
3. Install new shower fixtures
4. Remove ugly wallpaper border
5. Take out wall in closet
6. Tear out built-in dresser drawers in closet
7. Build new wall in closet, making it bigger in order to fit a washer and dryer.
8. Install new sink and fixtures
9. Install washer and dryer (BIG project, let me tell ya).
10. Install new flooring
11. Paint upper wall and baseboards in the room.

And I'll write about one more room in this post: the living room. This one wasn't so much work, thank goodness!

Here's the before picture (we were painting the kitchen cabinet doors in this room when the picture was taken):
And here we are after:
Big difference, right? And it took almost no work!

Here's our short little list for this room:
1. Paint walls this wonderful yellow color (I LOVE this color, it has a calming effect).
2. Tear up carpet
3. Sand and varnish the hardwood floor.
4. Add furniture and decorate.

This is one of my favorite rooms. Here are some other angles:

Don't you love our plaid couch? Haha, gotta love hand-me-down furniture. Some nicer couches are in our future as soon as we feel like we can afford them. Also, we are looking for a rug for this room to make it feel more inviting and break up the wood floors and wooden furniture a little bit.

Well that's it for this installment...I'll post the next one when life is boring again, and I have nothing better to write about :-P

1 comment:

  1. Wow. You've done a lot of work on the house! It looks great, though. (And personally, I love the brown/aqua/white color scheme.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I read and appreciate each and every one. Blessings to you!